City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, United States 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an essential crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which becomes part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic air travel, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick area became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders got here.
This became known as the Monocacy Path or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Fantastic Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established prior to 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better place with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had been founded on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations further west being contested between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The present town's very first home was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his spouse, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants also founded a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, developed in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration path until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later on, both assisting to found a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an important market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Essential lawyers who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood during the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That original colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise area has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's City Hall (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was built in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent established by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its present structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set versus the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a local medical professional to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont ended up being important for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln jailed numerous members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves also escaped from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for liberty. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several healthcare facilities to nurse the wounded from those battles, as is related in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a few days in the future the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Roadway west of Middletown, simply listed below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Agency, a Social Solutions office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monument made from among the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what became the last substantial Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise referred to as the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies simply southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the primary fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons bombardment occurred along the National Road west of town near Red Man's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his dad. He became an important naval commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's boy, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was crucial in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley functioned as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent lender, and his partner Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the annual Terrific Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest farming fairs in the State.