City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, situated at the crossway of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which becomes part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This became called the Monocacy Path or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Excellent Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded prior to 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's regular flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better location with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (areas additional west being contested between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The existing town's first house was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his spouse, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today understood as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 restricted that westward migration route till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a large complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here two years later on, both assisting to found a churchgoers which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was assigned in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Crucial attorneys who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood throughout the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with one of its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That initial colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship space has ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's City Hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its current structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick also ended up being one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln apprehended numerous members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also escaped from or through Frederick (considering that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for freedom. Throughout the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick also hosted a number of hospitals to nurse the wounded from those fights, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days in the future the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, just below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Providers workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monolith made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace combated an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last significant Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also known as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies simply southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Roadway west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union soldiers retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle trip to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his dad. He became an important marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was important in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his spouse Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the yearly Excellent Frederick Fair, one of the two biggest farming fairs in the State.